Perfect donuts straight out of Breaking Bad... I mean.... sugar is kind of a drug too right?
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
For the blue meth:
- 3 1 ⁄2 oz Superfine sugar
- 1 3 ⁄4 oz Glucose syrup
- 1 3 ⁄4 oz Water
- 1 tiny pinch Blue powdered food coloring
- 3 1 ⁄2 fl oz Milk
- 3 ⁄4 oz Butter
- 1 1 ⁄2 oz Superfine sugar
- 1 t instant dried yeast
- 1 Egg
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 9 oz Flour Oil for deep frying
- 3 1 ⁄2 oz White chocolate
- Make the Blue Meth: Heat the sugar, glucose syrup, water, and blue food coloring in a saucepan until they reach 300°F. Check the temperature with a candy thermometer. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and let it cool, then break the sheet of sugar into small crystals.
- Make the donuts: Warm the milk and butter in a saucepan or microwave oven. Add the sugar and instant yeast, stir with a whisk and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, and stir. Gradually add the fl our and knead by hand or in a stand mixer for at least 5 minutes. Add a little extra fl our if the dough sticks too much to your fingers.
- Heat the frying oil in a saucepan or deep fryer to reach 325°F–335°F. Make donuts by shaping the dough into rings or balls with a hole in the center, then flattening them slightly. Cook the donuts in the oil for 1–2 minutes, turning them over.
- Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or microwave oven. Dip one side of the donuts in the chocolate. Decorate with the crystals of blue meth and let them cool in a refrigerator.